Monday, November 28, 2011

Love it or List it

Things have been busy lately and I haven't posted in awhile, but I thought I'd write something about one of my new favorite shows "Love it or List it"! It's on HGTV which is one of my top 3 fav channels. I love all things house hunting and home decor! I swear someone at HGTV has been inside my head the past 3 months and figured out this would be a great idea for a show. It's about couples who are torn on whether to renovate some of their current home or to just list and find a new home to fit their needs. I've been struggling with this decision since before Keith and I got married. We had his house listed for sale this past summer but took it off the market once it got close to the wedding. Now we are deciding what to do. I do like Keith's house (now our home) and we've done a couple renovations to make it more homey, but its really only practical for the 2 of us. And while we don't have kids right now, it won't be long and I just don't want to feel stuck and unable to move when we do have kids. The interest rates are so good right now and we can get a lot for our money and it's always been my dream to build a home. Even though it's not a good time to sell, it's a good to to buy and we feel it's worth it to take advantage of that.
The other part of me feels fortunate that Keith was able to by this house 3 years ago and we should just stay a little longer and be happy we have a nice house to live in.
So should we love it or list it?!

2 comments:

  1. Ok so I know we've talked about this a hundred times. You and I are similar in some aspects and different in others. I think that your house is really nice and you've fixed it up really well and it really suits you. I also know that a new house would be beautiful. I think even if you had a baby in the house you live in now it would be fine. You could turn the spare room into a nursery and section part of the basement off into a play room. It wouldn't be a forever solution but I think it could totally work for now for you guys even if you had a baby. I don't plan on living here forever but I'm having 2 here! Everything will work out and I think you should stay where you are for a little unless you could get a new home for the same exact price and you could sell your house and make money on it. I wouldn't lose money or even break even.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it's a really tough decision. We are leaning much more towards selling and moving because even though we like our current home we don't want to try and move after we have kids and it gets a little harder to save. Right now we have the means to move into our "forever home" and 3 or 5 years from now if the interest rates go back up and we break even on our current home we won't be able to afford the same home we can now.
    Our house is a little different since we don't have 3 bedrooms, we can have 1 baby there but we really don't want to.
    So we'll see we still are thinking and exploring options weighing the thousands of pros and cons haha Another option we thought would be to refinance to lower our payment nad save hte difference.
    Plans always change I just don't want to feel stuck and unable to move 2 years from now and wish I had.
    I'm glad I have best friends to help me see both side :)

    ReplyDelete